Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The last Generation

The generation of the 40's through the 60's might just very well be the last generation to be able to say these things and have these memories.

• I learned to drive on a tractor. A ford tractor, keeping it in the rows while my parents were riding in the Potato planter in the back, which dug the trench, dropped the potato pieces in then covered it up.

• I watched and or helped my parents kill chickens by hanging them upside down from the clothesline and cutting their heads off to drain out right there. Then sitting them in a bucket of boiling water (Oh the smell....) to pluck all the feathers off, then after a cut, reaching in through their ass and pulling all the guts out. Where else did you think chicken meat came from?

• I helped my parents catch the pigs to tie rubber bands around their testicles. After a little while they would just drop off.

• I remember standing there watching my Mother milk the cows. She would always squirt a little in a cup for me to taste. Also, she would squirt some in the cats mouth if they were there.

• The only automobiles around were pickup trucks. It was very rare to see a regular car. We figured that only rich people would have any need for one of those weird things. Basically the only choices were Fords and Chevy. The turn signal was an arm hanging outside the pickup that you operated with a rope. Hanging down meant you were going to stop, hanging straight out meant you were turning left, standing up meant you were turning right.

• If I was to find or get a quarter, it was worth getting on my bicycle or horse and ride about 4 miles to the closest little market to buy stuff. For that quarter, you could get a coke, a candy bar and a bunch of penny candy. Cokes were 10 cents, candy bars were 5 cents and lots of penny candies, including little wax tubes filled with sugar water.

• Guns. I had a bb gun at about 10 years old, then a 22 rifle at about 12 years old, then on to a 30/30 rifle and a shotgun later and my dad taught me all the gun safety rules, which basically was don't point it at anything you didn't want to shoot. This is not going to set well with the politically correct crowd but it was perfectly normal in those days to ride out on my horse and shoot anything that ran, flew or got in my sights.
By the way, the last thing in the world you would want to shoot would be a human being. Doing that would be the ultimate chicken shit thing to do. If you had a serious problem with a person, the only brave and manly thing to do was a fist-fight till one said "I give". Then it was over. Using anything but your fists was considered chicken-shit. No sticks, knives, clubs or even feet.

• The only proper way to eat a watermelon was to throw it down, reach in and grab the heart and walk away in heaven. The rest was garbage for the chickens.

When I got in trouble enough for a spanking, my Mom would tell me to go out to the willow patch and get a willow stick. If I came back with one too small, she would send me out for a larger one. Now that spanking was not some little teaser. It was hard, long and heavy and yes, it left marks. Now was being treated that way wrong or did it turn me into a child molester or monster in my adult life? Nope I'm fine thank you. Did I pass that on to my child. No, I worked it out other ways and they worked fine too. Again, to me this proves the politically correct crowd has their mind up their ass.

• After reading this little post on things only a certain age can relate to, if you have any things to add that you can remember, in your OLD age, click on the "Comments" link at the bottom and add your own memories. I will ok it and it will appear in the "Comments' section for others to see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could've been there...except for the chicken part! I grew up in the sixties when PEACE & Love were the topics of conversation. You weren't cool if you didn't have a yellow VW with peace signs all over it and paper dresses with pictures of the beatles. LSD and Pot were drugs of choice and free love was all around...No chickens that I can remember but lots of PIGS:)
Thanks Paul...
Your crazy neighbor...T

Anonymous said...

Come on folks. I know you smiled and can relate to my memories here. Go ahead and tell your story and put your name in the "Nickname" field, check in I'll make it happen.

Anonymous said...

My memories as a boy in Lomita,Ca.
On those early mornings when I
heard the milk man in our driveway
I would sneek to the kitchen and
open the milk door in the wall, grab the cold glass bottle of milk
then carefully pull the paper tab
back,pulling the paper cap off and
licking the cream from the top of
the bottle. There were usally four
bottles of milk in the wire rack
outside fresh from the dairy.
I remember talking to the milk man
early in the mornings. He wore a
white hat that looked like a officer in the military. On one
perticular occation while talking
to our milk man my neighbor,(who's
bedroom window was facing our drive
way). They were making groning noises then through their window
came a loud " quit get out of here,I want my privacy!) and every
week after that our milk man reved
his engine before leaving, giving
my neighbor his special goodby. I
thought that was great.

Going to the butcher was really
neet. I remember going to the
butcher display case and smelling
the fresh saw dust on the floor
while the butcher reminded my
mother that bologna was good for
me. I loved bologna. Also the old
coke machine was by the front door
,but I could not have one because
it was for adults only. Later on
in life I figured it out. Aparently the store manager came
across some very old coke that was
still very good. Every body in town went to Wilson's department
store for school clothes and gym
apparal. 1 cent wax vampire teeth
and beemans is what I liked to chew when visiting the old Rx.
One of the greatest times I had as
a boy was we were able to stay out
as long as we wanted at night during the weekends, we had plenty
of outdoors camp overs.
Our town was unincorporated which
ment when getting into mischeif
playing at the water tower, it
took 20 minutes for the only patrol car to show up. We would
yell and wave at him then run. He
never caught us.
Living in that small town was
safe. There was really no crime to
talk about. My buddy's house was
never locked, we had a open door
policy during the day with all my
friends. Life was great.........

Jerry T.
Alta, Ca.
...................................

some privacy

Anonymous said...

I remember all of those things and more. We have short changed our children using the excuse we could give them better than we had. In doing so we have made it possible for them to have no or little direction in life and when they do wise up it takes them much longer to find their way and become useful citizens. They don' have to conform but they do or at least should earn their own way. We can only hope. Peg