Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bravery?

This is something I've thought about often through the years as I watched or read another story on the news about some gang or the other raising hell out in our country. Usually it's a story about a bunch of punks running around shooting guns, killing each other or killing innocent bystanders, who had nothing to do with it.

To make my thoughts clear on this subject, I would have to go back to when I was a teenager in high school. Back then, when someone had a problem with or just didn't like someone else, they would "call out" the other person to a fight, usually after school at some agreed upon location. After all the details of the fight were worked out, the rumor mill started and before the end of the day, half the school knew there was going to be fight and everyone that could, tried their best to show up to watch.

Here's how it would come out for everyone. The two combatants would come together and all the people who came to watch would form a huge circle completely surrounding them. The two fighters would approach each other face to face, take a good stance, put up their fists, dance around for a while and the whole thing would start as soon as one or the other thru the first punch. At that point, the whole crowd of onlookers would be yelling and screaming for one or the other.

Now lets get some very important things straight here. There were some plain as day, completely understood, unwritten rules involved in this whole planned affair. Fairness was everything. Only straight ahead fists were allowed. No kicking (this was before Karate), no hair pulling, no use of sticks, rocks, knives or ANY thing other than fists. The ONLY brave and honorable thing was to stand there face to face using only your fists to pound the opponent into submission. I have to proudly add here that if anyone did pick up a stick or anything, the whole crowd would not only start yelling, they would grab the stick and you and put a stop to the whole thing right then. Now the second the other guy fell to the ground, honorable people would stop and let the other person back up before continuing. The second one or the other gives up or says "I give" or lets it be known by one and all that they want to quit. IT'S A DONE DEAL! Game over, everyone walks away and the whole thing is finished.

The whole point of my little story here is back then these things were handled in a civilized and honorable way with both sides showing respect and bravery to each other. The purpose was not to kill or maim your opponent, it was just to prove you were brave and perhaps worthy of being a "man", in those times.

Now back to those punks in the news shooting each other and anyone else who get in there way. I'm announcing right now, right out loud and clear that all those punks are god damn chicken shits. They are like little baby pigs, pretending to be adults. They are too chicken shit to stand face to face with anyone. They sneak around shooting from moving cars or hide behind something to make their kill. They have no real guts at all. In fact, they are the scum of the earth and should be shot on sight by our law enforcement, who we have given the right to wipe out human infections.

Somehow we lost sight of what bravery, honor, respect and personal responsibility means in this new society we find ourselves in. I wonder if it's possible to somehow get that back in our children's realities before it's too late.

What do you think about all this? How do you define bravery, honor and respect? Is there a way you can think of to reach the youth with these truths and create change?



Right at the bottom of this posting is a "Comments" link. Click on it, follow the instructions and leave a comment about this post. You can use your name or make up one, by clicking in the circle beside "Name/URL". Or just leave your comment anonymously by clicking on the circle beside "Anonymous".

I will receive an e-mail, OK it and then it will appear for others to view after they click on the comments link.

Come on.......DO IT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on folks. Give us your opinion on this subject. Just scroll down and follow the instructions.

Anonymous said...

Re : Bravery...drive by shootings

I live in a nice "rural area" of Auburn. On Saturday morning....about 11:30 a.m. I heard a drive-by shooting two houses from mine. While I was adding some wiring to keep the dog home on the gate at my drive way.... a shot rang out complete with echoes in the foothills.....either an elcamino or a ranchero came ripping by...two occupants in it both windows open....on a cold morning......the vehicle was green.

I called 911 from my mobile pocket phone. Placer county's finest appeared in about 5 minutes very fast....really admirable thank you....they listened...were polite...wrote the license number I got.....then proceeded to knock on the door of the house.....

The deputies came back to me about five minutes later...."There are people in the house..we saw them....they wouldn't answer the door....they don't want any part of this." As the deputy started to pull out....I walked back to my gate.....and in the weeds I found a cloth leopard designed bag...about 3 inches by 6 inches by about 1 1/2 inches.....it had a blue glass pipe and a baggie sticking out. I stopped the deputy.....he came back...I gave him the "bag". I told him I found it....and also told him it was NOT dropped by the vehicle in question. It was just a random event that I found it then and there.

He thanked me for the illicit drugs.


So let's think about this...gun shot.....refusal to answer a door to a deputy....and now drugs and paraphenalia....gee thank you. What a wonderful morning. WE ARE IN TROUBLE...this is rural Auburn...sounds like something out of a ghetto to me.

What's a person to do??

I know what the elcamino/ranchero looks like and I know the license number....which "didn't come up in the police computers....."

I fully intend to keep my eyes open for this vehicle.....and contact any deputy who will listen when I see this vehicle again.

What would you do?

Anonymous said...

I have to agree fully. I had many a black eye as a young teenager, and also inflicted many a black eye.
One thing you neglected to mention was, many times, if not every time, once the fight was done, I seem to remember shaking hands with my opponent before walking away. In the end it did not matter who won or lost---you maintained your honor by fighting and either winning OR losing like a man. If my memory serves me well, it seems that I became friends with EVERY person I fought with after the fight was done, there were no grudges and no retaliations.